Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Simple Joys

* Going to open houses with my husband. It's fun and a cheap date....unless we buy a house, which we haven't done yet.

* Avocados, tangelos, plums, Babel light cheese, all so yummy.





* Going to our local park, which we have been doing fairly frequently.  We've had a picnic, lots of walks, and even taken Little Doggie who has some social issues and is not always well behaved. He might be getting better, but I might be imagining it.

* Spotting a red winged blackbird and hearing a male defend his territory.

* Mike and I began Weight Watchers on Ash Wednesday. I've joked that I've given up food for Lent, but really it seemed like a good time to practice some discipline in our eating. We are having fun trying a lot of new recipes, some of which I've shared on my recipe site. Cooking this way is easier to do now that I don't have to feed as many people. My big kids are gone a lot and eating elsewhere. Mike is shrinking before my very eyes. Me, well, I've only lost 7 1/2 pounds. I was hoping for more by now, but am happy to see the scale move.

* Celebrating my mom's 81st birthday!

Bonhoeffer is for book club and is supposed to be very good.  I've wanted t oread Because He Loves Me for a long time, but it will have to wait until after Lent.

* New books (and curriculum for co-op) coming by way of our Mail Person and the UPS guy!  

* The first butterfly sighting of spring.  A tiger swallowtail winged its way through my backyard.

* Seeing several cricket games in the park. I don't think I've ever seen cricket being played anywhere but in a movie.


* Meals with people I like, love, and enjoy, friends and family alike!


* Two years ago this month my mom had emergency surgery and was in ICU and my sister found a lump in her breast and was subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer. Today both are doing very well! My sister is a year and half out from the end of treatment. I am so very thankful.

Sin was the cause of all our Savior's sufferings. Our sins twisted the crown of thorns; our sins drove the nails into his hands and feet; on account of our sins his blood was shed. Surely the thought of Christ crucified should make us loathe all sin. As the Church of England Homily of Passion says so well: "Let the image of Christ crucified be always printed in our hearts. Let it stir us up to the hatred of sin, and provoke our minds to the earnest love of Almighty God." ~ J.C. Ryle from Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross

11 comments:

  1. Wow. You are lucky to have both your sister and mother still with you. And congrats on losing 7+ pounds! That's great!

    My guess is your dog is getting better since you've been visiting the park more frequently with house showings and all... I hope that is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet those open houses ARE fun!
    Woo hoo for your seven pound loss! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to look at open houses, even when I'm not moving. I just like to see how other houses are set up and think of what it would be like to live in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely things you have to be joyful for! 7 1/2lbs is a great achievement - keep up the good work! I also have to be thankful that my mum and her sister (and quite a few friends) have survived breast cancer.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to be thankful for! What a blessing to have your mom and sister healthy!
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  6. great stuff here! so glad your sister and mom and doing well! God is so good! have a great week....enjoy all the little things that bring such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the noisy voices of a flock of redwing blackbirds in a tree. I think they are a bird rock band.

    Good stuff.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Leslie,

    I finished He Loves Me just a few weeks ago...it has to have the most "flags" of any book I presently own....lots of rich stuff...now I am reading Girls Gone Wise and Bonhoeffer is on my "to read this year" shelf as well! Enjoy!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. We spotted our very first yellow swallowtail yesterday! We squealed with delight.

    I like your simple joys list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear your mom and sister are doing well!

    Good luck with the Weight Watchers adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, this is a lovely list. So glad to read that both your mom and sister are doing well. My mom also had breast cancer and is doing well. So much to be thankful for!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete