Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What Kind of Vert Are You?





Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

This is a fun video highlighting the importance of both types of personalities.  




A couple of you mentioned wanting to know more about the book, Quiet, so I wanted to talk about it a little bit.  It is a big book packed with lots of good information.  If you are at all interested in the subject I highly would recommend it to you, even if you only read the chapters that have the most interest to you and skim through the rest.

Susan Cain has done a lot of research, interviews and even subjected herself to conferences (horrible sounding ones for an introvert) all of which is very interesting reading. She discusses the science of personality, sub groups like high sensitivity and reward sensitivity, and she even discusses the extrovert a great deal.  

All these personality traits have implications on the work place, the school room, the church and the family, all of which she addresses.  A lot of it I think is very interesting and useful.

The conversation at book club, which is made up of interverts of varying degrees, was lively with tales of revelation more than new information.  

* Often the ideas that are implemented are the ones shared by the loudest person, but often, if you take time to let the quiet people talk (and this does take some patience) even better ideas will come to light.

*  Solitude is the key to creativity. Excessive stimulation impedes learning.  Let's say two people go for a walk. One goes for a stroll through a busy city street and the other walks through the quiet woods. Upon returning they both go study.  Guess who has an easier time of learning? 

I appreciate how this book reminded me how differently God made each and everyone of us, how we are not easily all lumped into one group or another, how we need each other, and how it would be utterly boring if we were all alike.  

The book provoked thoughts about what my gifts and talents are, and it has made me look at those around me with new eyes, and appreciate their differences.  I think it I am a better encourager having read this book.


The book has also been a great conversation starter with friends, family, and even people I barely know. I've talked about different things in it to various people, not in an effort to get them to read the book, but just talking about whatever it is that pops into my mind, because talking about ideas is much more appealing to me than small talk, an introverted trait.  (Writing is a little different for me. I would rather TALK about ideas than write about them.)
 



Here is a quote from near the end of the book that I liked and wanted to share with you:

"Love is essential; gregariousness is optional. Cherish your nearest and dearest. Work with colleagues you like and respect. Scan new acquaintances for those who might fall in the former categories or whose company you enjoy for its own sake. And don't worry about socializing with everyone else. Relationships make everyone happier, introverts included, but think quality over quantity.

The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some it's a Broadway spotlight; for others, a lamp lit desk. Use your natural powers -- of persistence, concentration, insight, and sensitivity--to do work you love and work that matters. Solve problems, make art. think deeply.

Figure out what you are meant to contribute to the world and make sure you contribute it."

Susan Cain is on Facebook and if you "like" her you get to see interesting articles she links which I have enjoyed reading. It would be great if our culture valued the introvert a little more. I am working on it in the spheres of life where I have influence. 

If you decide to read it let me know what you think.  

And tell me, because I am curious to know, do you consider yourself an introvert or extrovert?  

18 comments:

  1. Definitely an introvert. I think I am more of an introvert now that I'm wiser (read OLDER!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~ this is a great post!
    Loved the video (the artwork was AMAZING) and the book sounds like an interesting read.
    I'm DEFINITELY an introvert... and I agree with the comment about solitude. I find that lots of background noise~ even a radio or TV playing~ is very distracting to me. I love nothing better than the sound of "silence" if I'm trying to concentrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very introverted. I'm about halfway through "Quiet" and I also read "introverts in the Church" which was really good. Large social events are really hard for me. I duck out of them when ever I can. I always feel utterly exhausted when I have to go. Even as a kid, I hid in the bathroom and read horse books during recess. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an introvert--I think introverts like blogging! Lately, though, I've been alone so much that I am realizing the value of company. Of course, no one said that introverts needed to be hermits, just that they need to recharge and they like more intimate friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely an introvert, but in social situations I'm usually very outgoing- friendly and talkative. And then I'm exhausted afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I am an introvert married to an extrovert. We do need each other. Do you find this true? That the opposites are married?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure, but I think she's a woman I saw on video, speaking at a conference. Her words and assessments were so encouraging to this introvert. I finally realized that we introverts were not inferior relationally. I've often been made to feel that way. I'd like to read her book -- thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I''ve got six toes on the extrovert side of the line and four toes on the introvert side. And I agree that opposites often marry. My husband is a true introvert. Looking forward to reading the book soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh excellent question ...I think I blog because I am a bit of a reclusive socialite LOL An introverted extrovert ...or an extroverted introvert either way a contradiction of sorts and yet it works nicely for me ... I love marching to my own drums :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm and after just watching the video ...this might mean I complete MYSELF ~ giggle

      Delete
  10. Very interesting...and then to read your comments too!

    I have always considered myself an introvert. My energy is zapped by people, yet I am energized through quiet.

    I am looking forward to reading this book. The you tube video was great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely an introvert. I can happily spend all day doing things by myself (though I enjoy having my family nearby) and have to be careful about how I plan my social time. I can only do one social thing a day, and try not to do more than a couple a week, or else I start getting cranky!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very interesting read, I shall have to try and get a copy.
    My training at drama school has helped me sometimes, on rare occasions mind,to be the part of the extrovert. However more at home being an introvert who loves the sound of silence.
    Your whole reading list sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm an older introvert who has FINALLY learned to limit my social engagements so as not to be cranky later. It took a long time to figure that out for some reason.

    To answer your question about where I like to shop online; J Jills, Soft Surroundings, Sahalie, Garnet Hill, Sundance, LLBean, Eddie Bauer, and Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am an introvert too. Like you, I get cranky if there are too many social things in one week.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent. I too am an introvert and found myself more focused on the amazing artist than the words.. which were very wise. Thanks for sharing. I somehow feel better right now. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. After assessing the comments I'm beginning to think that blogging is an introverts hobby! ;)

    ~~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your review of this book. I think I'll give it a go. I consider myself ridiculously extroverted and gregarious to the max, but I've been more than surprised to hear people say the opposite. I think this will be insightful and, like you said, lead to great discussions (which, in my opinion, is the distinguishing factor of a great book.)

    ReplyDelete